LESSON OUTLINE: Improving Private Prayer
from the Wadsworth, Oh., congregation
1. Last lesson we discussed ideas on how to improve our public praying. One of those suggestions included that if we want to improve our _____________ prayers we need to work on improving our _______________ prayers.
2. We are creatures of __________. Bad _____________ are __________ to fall into, but ________ ____________ require ___________ and ______________. A balanced Prayer Life will likewise require ___________ and ______________.
3. Need Help With The Words? Here is a “qualified” suggestion — Matthew Henry (1662-1714) was an English Presbyterian whose commentary, Exposition of the Old and New Testaments, has been used by millions was also known for another work that was just as popular in his day. Henry’s book, A Method For Prayer, has some excellent thoughts on how we can put our thoughts into words for prayer. It follows the same pattern as our lessons on types of prayer: Adoration, Thanksgiving, Confession, Petition, and Intercession. Plus, it can be downloaded in PDF format for free at Google Books.
4. Enter your __________ to pray. In Matthew 6:5-6, Jesus warned about making a _____________ of our praying. He encouraged us to pray in ______________ and God will reward us ___________________.
5. Some strategies for private praying:
Strategy #1. Arrange prayers by the days of the week
Strategy #2. Arrange prayers by the fingers of your hand
Strategy #3. Arrange prayers by the time of the day: morning, afternoon and evening
6. Remember to have ______________ and do not ______________.
“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” (James 1:2-8, NKJV)
Request the congregational bulletin from WADSWORTH CHURCH OF CHRIST
236 West Good Avenue, Wadsworth, OH 44281-1636
P: (330) 334-1178 E: email@example.com
D’ya suppose bro. Kenney might fill in the blanks for us?