Our Father in Heaven,
- In our prayers, words, and acts let us be true and transparent.
- Make our hearts whole in devotion to your word and will.
- Let our motives be set on entering eternal life in heaven.
- Cause the facts, promises, commands, and truths of the gospel to be ever more precious to us.
- May the Holy Spirit occupy our minds and souls completely.
- Purify us more and more that we may be sanctified in Christ.
- Strengthen our heavenly hope in the midst of life’s disappointments.
- Develop our love for you, for our brothers and sisters in Christ, for the lost of mankind.
We ask this because Jesus is our Lord and Savior.
Father, thank you for the pleasant and edifying time with the saints. It is a joy to be with your family of faith. You are to be praised for your wisdom in making us your people with one mind and heart.
- Give us a harmonious spirit, help us to be sympathetic to one another, to show affection and compassion to each other, and to be humble in every way.
- Let the evil of others keep us from responding in kind. Help us to bless others, regardless of their actions toward us.
- Help us to do right and to see our blessing of doing so even under duress and suffering.
- Prepare us to answer those who ask about the hope we possess.
- Keep us from having any reason for shame.
- Thank you that Christ suffered to bring us to you and that we were given the grace of baptism for our salvation.
- Thank you for his resurrection which is our guarantee of being raised to heaven.
Show me your glory, O God, that I might never lose sight of my goal.
Based on 1 Peter 3. If this prayer blessed you, please share it with someone else.
Father, waiting is hard, for we cannot see ahead.
We wonder if you’ve forgotten us.
Like Sarah, we think you might need an extra hand.
We think we must have it now.
What confusion between wants and needs!
Remind us that you do not fail.
That you often save and help at the last minute.
That you use this interval for our good.
You teach us dependence upon your grace.
Father, help me wait patiently, quietly.
I watch today for your generous hand.
And I will watch tomorrow and the next day, if need be.
As long as you see fit.
This prayer was inspired by a devotional mentioned here.
Heavenly Father, we look for Jesus to return today, not because today is THE day, but because he could come at any time. We prepare ourselves for him. We desire his coming. We pray you may send him soon. Our salvation will arrive with him.
While we wait, we work. We warn others that they must prepare, also. We offer the message to all who need to hear it. Make our proclamation effective and urgent. Make us feel its urgency and power.
We thank you for this hope. Our lives would have no meaning otherwise. The eternal service makes our work here worthwhile. The heavenly promise makes life here joyful. Where time and tears are no more, where the sea and suffering are banished, there is our desire focused when here our work is finished.
You are to be praised for your eternal purpose in Christ, for your guiding and empowering Spirit, for your saving and faith-building word, for your confirming and edifying church.
Father God, in the face of doubt,
Build pillars of faith in the solid Word;
When clouds obscure my future home,
Make hope shine brightly all about.
If the heart feels hurts that time can’t heal,
Burn the laser of love to seal the wound.
For lack and need and empty lives,
Pour out your fullness on us who plead.
You, O Lord, created me,
A living soul,
A breathing spirit, full and free,
Complete and whole.
You gave me life, and I was filled
With joy and love;
You blessed, your presence spilled
From heaven above.
We ruined the best, your presence spurned,
Our minds rebelled,
To you, O God, our backs were turned,
Our hope expelled.
The Lord refused to leave us be,
He had a plan—
A rescue from eternity
To save his man.
O Lord, tomorrow is a mystery,
And even the next hour reveals no secrets,
So let us in this moment, in the present,
Serve our Lord and Master and fear your Name.
We trust in your control of our years and days,
Believe you guide the world to its proper end,
We know in Christ that all things come together,
In all man’s doings you will be glorified.
Our joy is this: our treasures await us in heaven,
The Lord is at the door and soon will come,
Your power is hope, your promise never fails,
And perfect love will hold us till the last.
Lord, let us see our time on earth as our friend,
With every thought and action geared to the end,
To learn, prepare, and grow in full desire,
For your most glorious presence in pure attire.
Lord, let us know that life is made of hours,
And moments, being present, with mental powers
In focus on our eternal purpose — earth
And heaven anew, with saints of spiritual birth.
Lord, let us find in Christ the only way
To you and all your hosts — for this we pray
And work and wait, as age and wisdom grow —
In hope, we think this passing time is slow.
Hope for me, a light, no matter how faint,
From heaven shines — even when evils paint
Their darkest colors and into the heart the cold
Of doubt seeps and chills, when men grow bold
To oppress the poor and weak — but still I see
That ray descending — answer to prayer — to free
My soul from despair. O save me, Lord — ’tis gone
My strength, awaiting the sun beyond the dawn.
Father, help us to look ahead, in order to prepare for future opportunities, to be ready for the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Let us lay aside worries about tomorrow in order to take up the hope of your promises.
Let us forget ourselves, for our joy.
Let us focus on serving, for the blessing of others.
Let us follow the Lord Jesus, for your glory.
Give us peace, O God, in life and death,
In work and rest, among the frenzied crowds;
Within us reign, our Lord, while we have breath,
While we await your coming in the clouds.