Give me grace, O Lord,
to bear the burden of the day.
Give me peace, O King,
to pass to sufferers in the way.
Give me light, O God,
to see the path that I must tread.
Give me life, O Father,
from him who’s risen from the dead.
Give me love, O Sovereign,
such as on earth I’ve never known.
Give me hope, O Lamb,
of righteous fruit that I have sown.
Give me faith, O Faithful,
that wavers not when I am tried.
Give me word, O Lord,
that you with me will ever abide.
Dear Heavenly Father, here are my requests for the new year.
- For the wife and me to have a great year together, with health and happiness, joy and usefulness.
- For our children to be well, in body, spirit, family, and service.
- For our grandchildren to receive the love and care they need to develop into your children.
- For our families of origin to increase their faith.
- For the spiritual, missional, and numerical growth of the congregation.
- For new beginnings in our region.
- For the brotherhood to be strong in faith, in truth, in love, in grace, in the Word of Christ.
- For the people we love, for the brethren you have given us, for the lost who need news.
Heavenly Father, show me your love and power
Your child am I — created in your image
You know my needs, my every fear and pain
I trust in you — on you I wait in silence
Still my troubled heart and restless mind
Sustain me with your every promise kept
By day I search for you till setting sun
Your name upon my lips in dark of night
Thanks I give for what I have been given,
For what I’ll still receive — Whatever my want
I’ll not complain, but think of Jesus Christ,
Who walked the lonely road to Calvary’s tree.
For love were we created — let love
prevail among us, genuine,
sincere, and willing to learn —
in all things honest, earnest,
accepting — as you accepted us.
Welcoming house of God!
Let nations come to dwell here!
Teach me, Lord, to glory in weakness,
To love at all times, to live by your power;
Show me, O God, to walk in meekness,
To work with pleasure, to cherish each hour.
Father, use me for good in this world,
Let mercy abound and grace prevail;
Holy Spirit, make me your child,
Let no good deed of blessing fail.
So pray this way:
Our Father in heaven,
may your name be honored,
God eternal, you are Father! —
On this truth hang all our prayers —
Love unknown upon this planet
Comes to us from highest heaven,
Son of God, the very essence,
Sacrifice of man’s redemption —
Grace on grace — O Lord, what mercy!
Eternal God, all praise is yours,
All glory, honor, power, and might!
What wisdom adorns your worthy crown!
You are love, and you are light. Continue reading
Our Father in Heaven,
- In our prayers, words, and acts let us be true and transparent.
- Make our hearts whole in devotion to your word and will.
- Let our motives be set on entering eternal life in heaven.
- Cause the facts, promises, commands, and truths of the gospel to be ever more precious to us.
- May the Holy Spirit occupy our minds and souls completely.
- Purify us more and more that we may be sanctified in Christ.
- Strengthen our heavenly hope in the midst of life’s disappointments.
- Develop our love for you, for our brothers and sisters in Christ, for the lost of mankind.
We ask this because Jesus is our Lord and Savior.
Father, as we devote ourselves to prayer, let us not say only generalities, but share the specific needs of our heart and detailed requests for others.
Keep our faith from vagueness. Nail our love firmly to the ground of reality.
Just as the Lord Jesus came from heaven to live and move among us, plant us in the soil of human suffering and struggle to deal with the effects of sin.
As your agents of reconciliation, make our offer of salvation to be compelling and urgent.
May your redemption fill us and turn our mourning into joy.
We praise you for the blood of the cross and thank you for reaching us with the gospel.
Because of Immanuel, Amen.
The Chosen One has come to save us!
He came because you sent him, speaks
Only what you told him to speak.
What heavy price you paid to rescue
Our souls from sin and reconcile
Estranged creatures to yourself!
O Present One, be with us — come
Within our midst and in our hearts
Abide, both now and evermore.
Outside yourself, all-sufficient,
You made us, gave us freedom of choice,
Allowed us Will to love or leave.
Remove us from ourselves, O Lord,
That truest blessing might be ours,
To love and know Unselfishness.
Father, the lack of zeal in self dismays me. Jesus died for the zeal he felt for your house. Ignite my fervor for your kingdom.
And not only in me, but in others diligence is missing. Jesus did all your will and spoke just as you told him. Give your people that same dedication, that same attention to detail and to the larger picture.
How far I feel from your holy nature! Jesus sanctified himself in order to know and please you. Purge me of all defilement, for I desire to see you after this earthly life has ended.
My love is imperfect, I still judge people by appearance, often sizing them up by what they might could do for me. Jesus loved everyone, offered them acceptance, was willing to give opportunity to all to be a part of his family. Perfect your love in me, so that I might see every person as one of your special creatures.
God of ages past and eras to come,
God who is the fullness and the sum,
See us, your people’s suffering, every one,
Come save, O Lord, come save us!
Creator of earth and heaven, creatures all,
Of stars and moons, that centered burning ball,
Reach down to touch and heal the weak and small,
Come love, O Lord, come love us!
Sustainer of flocks and herds and animals wild,
The one who knows the harm of man and child,
Eternal God of nation long exiled,
Come live, O Lord, come live among us!