- Blanket your people with peace, O Lord, that we may live in quiet submission and glad thanksgiving.
- Remove from us those earthly and material things upon which we rely, so that we might depend wholly upon your grace and power.
- Bring us low in humility, as Jesus himself humbled himself, in order to be useful to the Kingdom.
- Jolt us from our comfortable routines and throw us out into the world of need.
- Fix before our eyes the single task of proclaiming Christ to a condemned mankind.
- Stir up our zeal for the truth of the gospel that we might know the Scriptures and guard your word in our hearts.
- Steer us away from sin and produce in us the holiness that permits us to see your face.
- Pour out your Spirit into our hearts that we might produce that holy and righteous fruit of all good things.
- Swell the ranks of reapers in the field of salvation, so that those who are ready to hear might have a message to respond to.
- Expose the lies of the evil one, so that the God who does not lie might be seen as the Savior and Sovereign of all.
The gospel brings salvation for mankind,
The only power to save the maimed and blind;
O Lord, keep me from ever feeling shame,
But always offer to all the blessed Name.
For saving grace obedient faith’s required;
By Christ confessed is righteousness acquired.
In him, O God, resides my glorious hope —
Preserve me from the evil slippery slope.
Pour out your blessing, Lord of light,
Lord of sight, Lord of sound,
Pour out your Spirit, full of might,
Full of power where gifts abound.
Pour out this soul, a life to give,
A life to live, a life to serve;
Pour out your servant, his work receive,
A sacrifice without reserve.
Pour out, O God, upon this earth,
The word to save, the word of love;
Bring forth for many a spiritual birth,
That all to heaven might soon remove.
Make me, O Lord, a man of God complete,
Help me today the prince of death defeat!
Rouse up the righteous powers of early morn,
In this frail heart lift high your mighty horn.
Come near to me your word, that I might hear,
To obey your precious law and tremble in fear.
May perfect love as yours with sun and rain,
Shower down upon my fellow man, constrain
The carnal mind with Christ, and every thought
Take captive! For pardon, flowing blood has sought,
Before the world began, a soul to redeem,
A perishing life to dip in a cleansing stream.
Make me, O God, for life, be unafraid,
A pure and useful vessel with power to persuade.
Father in Heaven,
- Thank you for saving us in the storm, for survival in the assaults of Satan.
- Thank you that we have joy in the midst of suffering, because you give us reason for the pain and hope of eternal felicity.
- Thank you for friends, family, and neighbors who are kind and generous.
- Thank you for the gift of your Son who brings us redemption through the forgiveness of sin.
- Thank you for your Spirit who informs, transforms, and overcomes the evil one.
- Thank you for the certainty of salvation, for the surety of truth, for the confidence of faith.
- Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to serve, for a reason to live, for the purpose of relationship with you, now and forever.
Heavenly Father, heaven is the only worthy goal for the future. All else will perish. Nothing will last except eternal life at your side. Save us!
Powerful Lord, the forces of the world would crush us on every side. The little ones of the earth possess no means of resistance. You alone can protect. Save us!
Only true and living God, the idols of man cannot speak, yet permit their makers to make up a religion that pleases them. All these are nothing but will waste away at the breath of the wind. Save us!
For salvation, see this simple study:
A few minutes with someone who loves you.
God over all nations —
Make the gospel spread in my country. Send workers into the vineyard here. And from here may many go out to other places and reach other peoples.
Increase our sense of urgency. Help us see the wide chasm between salvation and perdition. Remind us of the final destiny of the faithful and the disobedient.
Give us courage to speak and teach the word of Christ. Open our mouths so that not an opportunity is missed. Endow us with your wisdom so that we can know how to reach others.
We trust in you, O Lord, for the harvest.
God of ages past and eras to come,
God who is the fullness and the sum,
See us, your people’s suffering, every one,
Come save, O Lord, come save us!
Creator of earth and heaven, creatures all,
Of stars and moons, that centered burning ball,
Reach down to touch and heal the weak and small,
Come love, O Lord, come love us!
Sustainer of flocks and herds and animals wild,
The one who knows the harm of man and child,
Eternal God of nation long exiled,
Come live, O Lord, come live among us!
Our Father in Heaven, glorify your name this day in us and in our speech and actions.
Save me this day, O Father, that I might live in your presence and serve you, for your pleasure.
Show me, Father, how to pray more for your kingdom.
Open my eyes to needs. Reveal the opportunities to help others, for I am often focused on my own affairs.
Put power in my hands and humility in my heart.
Wash me constantly in the blood of Jesus my Lord.
Breathe in me the desires of the Holy Spirit.
No measure can be taken of your greatness. You explode all our categories of thought and dimension.
Open my ears to your word. Let your blessed strength enter my heart to transform and empower.
Bring your fellowship near. Make the joy of your presence real. Let us as your people live in true communion.
Break out your song of salvation among us.
Lord God of love for the world, in times past your people launched out across the earth to proclaim salvation in Christ. They planted themselves in other cultures, among peoples strange to them, in order to learn their language and their unique perspectives. They did this in order to better communicate the gospel of redemption.
Why, O Lord, are so few doing this today? Why do people consider themselves missionaries after spending a week or two abroad?
Raise up servants who will identify with another culture, learn their language, understand their needs, and bring the gospel to their hearers in a powerfully appropriate way.
Yes, Lord, scatter your people abroad, however it must be done.
Father, thank you for rain to refresh the earth,
And for the Spirit to reaffirm our worth;
We thank you for the moist and nurturing soil,
And for a heavenly purpose behind our toil;
Our thanks we give for sun and moon and stars,
For time to make the blessed gospel ours;
To you we owe all praise for life and health,
For freedom from our sin and carnal filth;
Blest be the God who made the ocean waves,
And brought to man the Son who fully saves.
I’ve never heard the sharp noise of battle,
Nor have I seen the senseless slaughter of men;
I’ve never witnessed the bomb’s exploding metal,
Nor watched a nuclear flash as bright as the sun.
But, Lord, you know the greatest human evil
Is done in darkened homes and daily words,
By divided hearts and vain minds, by feeble
Imaginations that cannot fathom your Lordship.
Let not this terrible wrong take hold of me!
Make light suffuse the truth from stem to stern!
Worthy of Christ may I in my soul be!
Save my life, as worlds around me burn!